Narendra Modi Government 2.0 on Thursday signed a defence deal with Israel under emergency provisions for purchase of 100 SPICE bombs with high explosives warhead for Indian Air Force. The deal is signed at an estimated cost of Rs 300 crore. The SPICE bombs which are to be purchased by Indian Air Force are of advanced versions and are capable of destroying enemies buildings and bunkers. The SPICE bombs were used by Indian Air Force to destroy Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorist camp at Balakot in Pakistan. The Indian Air Force will be delivered with advanced version of SPICE bombs within three months of time.
Here is all you need to know about SPICE-2000 bombs
1. SPICE bombs developed by Israeli company Rafael Advanced Defence System are guided bombs used by Israeli Air Force and Indian Air Force.
2. SPICE is an acronym that stands for Smart, Precise Impact, Cost Effective.
3. SPICE 1000, SPICE 2000 and SPICE 250 are the three variants of SPICE bombs which are compared with American LJDAM.
4. SPICE bombs can be easily carried from Aircraft’s such as the F-15, F-16, F-18, Tornado, Mirage, Rafale Gripen and Eurofighter.
5. With the help of Advanced Electro Optic Seeker SPICE bombs can carry operations in Day, Night and in Adverse weather.
6. SPICE bombs are capable of carrying 100 selectable missions per weapon and has target acquisition probability of 95%.
7. SPICE bombs are capable of converting air droppable unguided bombs into Precision guided bombs with EO/GPS guided guidance kit.
8. With its range of over 60 km SPICE bombs has very long glide range which allows aircraft to release bombs at the target without the range of Air Defence Systems.