DRDO on Monday achieved another significant milestone by successfully test firing new version of Akash surface to air defence missile system fitted with indigenous seeker. The Akash-1S is new version of Akash missile. The test fire of Akash-1S was carried out in Balasore off the Odisha coast.
About Akash missile
- The medium range mobile surface to air missile Akash is developed by DRDO and is produced by Ordnance Factory Board, Bharat Dynamics Limited and Bharat Electronics Limited.
- The Akash missile has capability to destroy air targets like fighter jets, ballistic missiles, air to surface missiles, drones and cruise missiles.
- The Akash missile flies at an supersonic speed of Mach 2.5.
- The Akash missile can hit the aircraft upto 30 km and at an altitude of 18000m.
- With its advanced technology, Akash missile is capable of protecting a moving convoy of vehicles.
- The Akash missile is equipped with Ramjet rocket propulsion system which increases missile speed upto Mach 6.
- The Akash missile is equipped with Rajendra radar termed as battery level radar with its range upto 60 km.
- The countries like Malaysia, Vietnam, Belarus and Thailand have shown interest in purchasing Akash missile system.