ISRO on Wednesday achieved another milestone by successfully launching earth observation satellite RISAT-2B satellite from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota. At 5:30 AM PSLV-C46 carried RISAT-2B satellite and after 15 minutes RISAT-2B was injected into the orbit about 555 km. This was the 48 th mission of PSLV, 72 nd launch vehicle mission from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota and 36 th launch from the first launch pad.
- The RISAT-2B is a radar imaging earth observation satellite weighing 615 kg and is capable of penetrating clouds.
- The new satellite RISAT-2B will strengthen India’s capabilities in the field of surveillance, forestry, agriculture and disater management.
- The RISAT-2B satellite is equipped with synthetic aperture radar which can take pictures of the earth during day, night, rain and under cloudy conditions.
The RISAT-2B satellite will help Indian Army in monitoring infiltration or gathering movements of terrorists.
- The RISAT-2B satellite will help Indian Army in monitoring infiltration or gathering movements of terrorists.
- The RISAT-2B satellite will be extremely helpful during floods and cyclone in country. The satellite can be used in tracking any hostile activity done on Indian soil.