The Defence Acquisition Council meeting led by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Friday approved Indian Navy’s proposal for purchase of 10 Kamov-31 military helicopters from Russia at cost of Rs 3600 crore. Currently Indian Navy has fleet of 12 Kamov-31 military helicopters.
It should be noted that Government has not let election season affect the modernization plans of Indian Armed Forces. The Defence Acquisition Council and Cabinet committee on security meetings are held regularly.
About Kamov-31 military helicopters
- The Kamov-31 are military helicopters developed by Russia and are currently used by countries like Russia, India and China.
- The Kamov-31 military helicopters are mainly used for spotting aircraft size target from a range of 150 km. The Kamov-31 can also spot surface ship from range of 100-200 km.
- The Kamov-31 military helicopters are capable of carrying aircraft carrier operations and can be deployed on warships.
- The Kamov-31 military helicopters features large antenna of early warning radar.
- The Kamov-31 military helicopters are equipped with GPS and digital terrain mapping system.
- The radars of Kamov-31 have capability of tracking 30-40 targets siultaneoulsy.
- The Kamov-31 military helicopters are capable of flying at a maximum speed of 250 km/h.