The Defence Ministry of India have entered into contract with India’s leading shipyard Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd for construction of eight Anti Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Crafts for Indian Navy. The deal worth Rs 6311.32 crore was signed in New Delhi between joint secretary and acquisition manager (Maritime systems) Ravi Kant and SS Dogra, Director (Finance) on behalf of Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd.
According to agreement Indian Navy will get first ship within 42 months from the date of signing contract. The project is required to be completed within time span of 84 months. Each year Indian Navy will be given two ships.
About Anti Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Crafts
- The Anti Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Crafts have capability to destroy submarines in shallow waters.
- The Anti Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Crafts are deployed for carrying search and rescue operations in coastal areas.
- The Anti Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Crafts can lay mines in sea bed.
- The Anti Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Crafts are armed with torpedoes, rockets and two 12.7mm machine guns in remote weapon system.
- The warship will have complement of 7 officers and 50 sailors. The warship has length of 70 meters, speed of 25 knots and displacement of 750 tons.
- The Anti Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Crafts are provided with highly advanced state of art integrated platform management systems. The system includes Propulsion machinery, Auxillary machinery, power generation, distribution machinery and damage control machinery.
- The Anti Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Crafts are designed and constructed as per
classification society rules and Naval ship regulations. The construction of warship will be done as per maritime pollution standards of International maritime organization and safety of life at sea.
- The GRSE will construct this warship under Make in India initiative of Government of India.
About Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd (GRSE)
- GRSE is India’s leading shipyard founded in 1884 and is located in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- GRSE is the first Indian Shipyard to build 100 warships.
- In 1960 Government of India awarded Miniratna status to GRSE.
- GRSE manufacturers Naval ships, Tankers, bulk carriers, platform supply vessels and naval licensed diesel engines.
- In December 2014 GRSE delivered MCGS Barracuda an offshore patrol vessel to Mauritius at contract of $58.5 million making India join elite club of warship exporters.