On Saturday the Government appointed Vice Admiral Karambir Singh as the next navy chief of India. He will replace Admiral Sunil Lanba ongoing navy chief who will retire on May 31, 2019. With this Karambir Singh will be the first navy chief to be an Helicopter Pilot who has large experience of flowing Chetak, Kamov Ka-25 and Kamov Ka-28 Helicopters.
Prior to appointment of new navy chief there were three senior navy officers in the race of appointment of new navy chief of which Karambir Singh was second on basis of seniority while Admiral Bimal Verma who is serving as the commander in chief of Andaman and Nicobar command was among the senior most officers serving for Indian Navy. The seniority criteria has been overlooked earlier also when Government appointed General Bipin Rawat who superseded two officers and now this is second time the Government overlooked the seniority criteria but the Government believed to have appointed the most suitable officer for the navy chief post.
About Karambir Singh
- Karambir Singh was born on 3rd November 1959 to an Indian Air Force officer family in Jalandhar, Punjab.
- Karambir Singh studied in Barnes school in Deolali and completed his further studies from Defence Services Staff College, Wellington and College of Naval Warfare, Mumbai. Karambir Singh belongs to 56th course of National Defence Academy and was an Alumnus of National Defence Academy.
- Karambir Singh has extensive experience of flowing light utility Helicopters, Naval Helicopters and Military Helicopters such as Chetak, Kamov Ka-25 and Kamov Ka-28.
- Karambir Singh joined Indian Navy in June 1980 and has commanded Eastern Naval Command, Vice Chief of Naval staff, Deputy Chief of Naval staff, INS Delhi, INS Rana, INS Vijaydurg and ICGS Chand Bibi.
- The Senior most serving aviator Karambir Singh has been awarded with Param Vishist Seva Medal, Ati Vishist Seva Medal, 50th Anniversary of Independence Medal, Operation Vijay Medal, 20 years long service medal, Operation Parakram Medal, 9 years long service medal, Sainya Seva Medal and 30 years long service medal.